Moving Into Eldership
2017/2018 Dates TBA
$275 for the 6 week course, Tuesdays from 12pm - 1:30pm (PST)
Eldership is one of the most important roles in our society.
The great power and wisdom that we naturally develop through our lifetime is not often recognized and acknowledged as we get older. Fortunately, this cultural ignorance is beginning to lift, and we at HoneyRoot are devoted to bringing the importance of eldership back into day-to-day conversation. Together, as we acknowledge and honor this transition as the sacred act it is, we stand in the truth of nature and make more room for the respect it deserves. As we know, this process starts within.
It begins at home.
When do we become Elders?
The simple and yet profound answer is it begins when you are ready to embrace it. Elders have been living life -- learning, growing, shape-shifting, and practicing -- for many decades. In this stage of life we can use our years of experience and our expanded perspective to witness, support, and nourish those generations coming behind us. This is when we can rest from the world of Doing and explore a new way of Being. This is when life reflection is at the forefront and service and appreciation of life are the core desires. How and where will we give back to that gracious gift of life?
Topics explored in this SIX WEEK course:
1. Life Experiences as Pearls of Wisdom
2. Our Bodies in Time:
The Truth about Menopause
3. Embracing Grief
4. Finding Your Voice as an Elder
5. Claiming & Embodying Eldership
6. Releasing Servitude as a Pathway to Serving the Sacred
- Every week, we come together in a Zoom call (similar to Skype, but for group meetings) where Devorah Bry, MA (as host), Judy Lay, MFT (as guide), and special guests introduce the topics above and invite you to explore them in your own mind-body.
- In between sessions, you will receive an email with recommended readings, journaling prompts and embodied exercises to assist you as you integrate each week's inquiry.
- Over the course of the 6 weeks we will stay connected via an online forum -- a place to ask questions of one another, inspire one another, network and support each other throughout the journey.
- Upon completion we will have an initiation ceremony to welcome you into the HR Elder Clan.
What to expect from this course:
- Identify those life experiences that have shaped who you are and learn to discern the qualities that you embody as a result of those experiences.
- Life as an Elder is about making peace with Loss. You will make a River of Loss (art project) and make a Desconso (a place of honoring) for those losses that defined who you are.
- Identify your style of expressing Grief. Learn life-affirming ways to grieve and thereby bring more Love into your life.
- Identify what in your history needs to be re-examined and re-written in order for you to step fully into your seat of Elderhood.
- Identify where you are being called to be in service; to claim your seat as Elder. Learn in what areas of life you see your Wisdom Pearls being most beneficial and enlivening to you.
- Learn to make distinctions between servitude and service in your everyday relationships with family and friends.
I am becoming the woman I've wanted,
grey at the temples,
soft body, delighted,
cracked up by life
with a laugh that's known bitter
but, past it, got better,
knows she's a survivor-
that whatever comes,
she can outlast it.
I am becoming a deep
I am becoming the woman I've longed for,
the motherly lover
with arms strong and tender,
the growing daughter
who blushes surprises.
I am becoming full moons
I find her becoming,
this woman I've wanted,
who knows she'll encompass,
who knows she's sufficient,
knows where she's going
and travels with passion.
Who remembers she's precious,
but knows she's not scarce-
who knows she is plenty,
plenty to share.
-Jayne Relaford Brown (Finding Her Here)